Wednesday 2 September 2015

Why are Christmas books popular all year round?

My bestselling title since last year has been Christmas at Hartford Hall and I'm wondering why readers want to read Christmas themed books all year round.
By the time New Year comes I can't wait to take down the decorations and forget about Christmas for the next nine months. I certainly don't want to read books with a festive theme at any time apart from September to December.
Easter/Thanksgiving/Halloween don't seem to have a plethora of themed books – it's only Christmas that attracts this sort of attention from readers and writers alike.
Several people have told me they've already seen Christmas trees and decorations up in some places – even a pub had its tree up. Waitrose has Christmas chocolates on display and no doubt other stores will soon follow.
I spent half an hour searching the web for giant plastic Christmas bells to hang outside my house – but was cross with myself for doing so at the beginning of September. Don't get me wrong - I love Christmas -but not 24/7.
I believe there are even Christmas themed shops that are open all year round – but I've never seen  one.
I suppose the attraction for readers could be that they know a book with a festive theme will be happy – have no nasty surprises. Non-Christians celebrate a different version of Christmas – a commercial one – but it's still a time when family and friends get in contact with each other and that can't be bad.
Who doesn't enjoy overindulgence and opening presents?
Maybe being able to read about people enjoying themselves is why these titles are so popular. It's not just romantic historical Christmas books that sell well, but also contemporary.
My new Christmas title, Christmas at Castle Elrick, will be coming out later this month and a new Regency Quintet Christmas Edition with three brand-new titles in it, will be out in October.
Are you a reader who enjoys Christmas books in July?
Fenella J Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment